Friday, June 20, 2014

Thankful for... this scenery

We've spent the past few days on holiday, taking a short break in between the leaving and the arriving phases of our latest journey. On Wednesday, I was reminded of another thing that I love about this country - the way that the scenery sometimes just takes your breath away.

Taking a break on the climb to the cave
We had climbed from the beach up a trail towards some caves. It was a long climb in the morning sunshine, and we were relieved to finally reach the cave entrance. I'm not sure what I was expecting to find - but I was amazed at what we saw when we scrambled down into the main cave.


The roof of the cave had collapsed long ago, allowing sunlight to stream into the enormous cavern - and, amazingly, a small clump of trees in the cave have grown up towards the surface. In the shadow of the trees stands a pavilion, built in commemoration of the Thai King Rama V's visit to this spot in 1889. The overall effect, with the light filtering through the foliage into the cool and quiet vastness of the cave, was magical.

The Royal Pavilion in the shelter of the trees
We have had similar 'wow' moments before. Once, we were driving to a Karen village near Mae Hong Son along a mountain road, in thick fog. Then we turned a corner and emerged into bright sunlight - we realised that we had been driving through the cloud.

Above the clouds
On another occasion, walking down to Sahamit School one morning, I was half way across the rice field before noticing the brilliance of the different shades of green following a whole night of torrential rain.

Rice fields after the rain
There is unmistakeable majesty in these scenes - although the camera does not capture that very well. I am so thankful for the beauty of God's creation all around us here in Thailand. I am reminded of God's creativity in the riotous colours, scents and sounds of the fields and forests. I am reminded of God's raw power in the soaring mountain tops and untamed rockfaces. And in the quietness and stillness of that remote cave, I am reminded of God's steady and unchanging purpose and character.

And so I am encouraged to turn to God - to hope in God - throughout this season of change and upheaval:

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise Him,
my Saviour and my God.

So I am thankful for this scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment