Tuesday, January 28, 2014

62 Years

Every time I visit a Karen village, I am struck by some new observation, challenge or insight. Sometimes, it's the sheer beauty of the mountain roads and rice fields. Other times, it's a new understanding of a Bible passage that I've heard shared in church. But most often, it's the people I've met.

Last weekend, I met Reverend Lay Thoo. He is a Karen evangelist, and I heard him preach three sermons in 24 hours - sermons full of life, humour, grace and biblical insight. In fact, I can't remember hearing three more effective bible talks.

Reverend Lay Thoo preaching at the 7:00 Sunday morning service
What amazed me even more, though, is that Reverend Lay Thoo is 86 years old. He has been serving God as a full time evangelist for the past 62 years. That's not just since before I was born - Reverend Lay Thoo has been travelling and preaching since my dad was a baby.

Back in 1952, travel in these areas of northern Thailand was hard - Reverend Lay Thoo would often walk three days between different villages. His heart for evangelism is still as apparent today - he is constantly urging the current church leaders to focus outwards, and to be obedient to Jesus' Great Commission.

Six years ago, when he was 80 years old, Reverend Lay Thoo was called to be the pastor of a KBC church in Mae Sot. He joked that he told the church that 'Moses was 80 years old when he led the people out of Israel, so you should be prepared for some changes ahead!'

What an inspirational leader - 62 years an evangelist - and still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment